from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Peanutty Good

In Mexico "enfrijoladas" are enchiladas covered in sauce made from pureed black beans.  "Entomatadas" are enchiladas bathed in a tomato sauce.  A few days ago, Alejandro told me that they had "pollo encacahuatado", chicken in peanut sauce, for dinner.  That sounded good.  At my local supermarket I can buy a jar of Thai peanut sauce which I use for my version of "pad Thai", but I asked him how to make a Mexican peanut sauce.  He told me the ingredients... but no measurements... that are thrown together in a blender.


Yesterday I attempted to make a sauce for "pollo encacahuatado".  You are supposed to use fresh tomatoes roasted on a grill, but since tomatoes from the produce section of the supermarkets up here are lacking in flavor, I bought a can of fire-roasted crushed tomatoes.  With the large can of tomatoes that I bought I ended up doing two batches, and I put some in the freezer.

In the blender I simply combined chicken broth, roasted tomatoes, one chipotle pepper for each batch, a quarter of an onion which I lightly charred in a dry frying pan, and some minced garlic.  I added peanuts until I attained the consistency that I wanted.  I used unsalted peanuts, but at the end I needed to add salt to taste.

The result was a thick sauce still with a few pieces of peanut.  (Alejandro said that it should be slightly chunky.) 


It was really tasty with just a small kick from the chipotle peppers.  I had to restrain myself from continuing to "taste test" it or there wouldn't be any left!  It is usually served over whole chicken pieces, but I put it over shredded chicken with rice.

"¡Muy rico!"  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment