city at night

city at night

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Yes, This is a Mexican Recipe

Many "gringos", who think that Mexican cooking is all about tacos and enchiladas, would be surprised by some of the non-stereotypical dishes that are a part of Mexican cuisine.

Mexican meals will often begin with soup or a "sopa seca" (dry soup) which is a rice or pasta dish.  Alejandro gave me this recipe for "pasta con crema" (pasta with cream) which is super easy and quick to make.


You can use any type of pasta or macaroni.  I picked up a box of corkscrew pasta.  Cook the pasta, let it cool, and put it in the refrigerator.  (This is a cold dish.)  The dressing is simply one part mayonaise to three parts sour cream.  (They would use Mexican "crema", which is slightly different, but sour cream is close enough.)  I made around a cup and a half of dressing for about a half pound of pasta.  Sprinkle in chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes.  When the pasta is cold, thoroughly mix in the dressing.  Alejandro suggested adding cubes of ham.  Since this was going to be my dinner rather than a first course, I used a boneless ham slice that I had in the refrigerator.  It is then garnished with grated cheese.

It's not a low calorie meal, but it was tasty and filling.  I think it would be a very good dish to serve on a hot, summer day. 

That was my non-stereotypically Mexican meal for "Cinco de Mayo". 

No comments:

Post a Comment