city at night

city at night

Friday, May 1, 2020

No Van Gogh

The day that I left Mexico in February an exhibit called "Van Gogh Alive" was opening in Mexico City.  A large pavilion had already been erected on the plaza in front of the Monument to Motherhood.  The show, which was touring worldwide, does not include any actual paintings by the artist, but it is a multimedia exhibit in which larger-than-life images of Van Gogh's works are projected on the walls. 


(pictures taken from the web)




The exhibit was going to be in Mexico City for several months, so Alejandro made advance reservations for when I was scheduled to return to Mexico in April / May.  He purchased four tickets for May 1st... today.  Since it is a legal holiday (the equivalent of our Labor Day) Alejandro's sister and nephew were going to join us.  Of course the pandemic ruined those plans.  The exhibit is closed, and I am stuck here in my house in Ohio.  No refunds were being given, but you could reschedule for later this summer when the exhibit is supposed to reopen.  

I still have my airline tickets for my planned trip in August / September.  I don't know if it will be safe to travel by then.  I have my doubts, but as the old cliché says, "Hope springs eternal".  So while I was on Skype with Alejandro last night, he changed the date for the tickets to a Saturday in early September.  Only time will tell if Van Gogh will once again be a no-go.

No comments:

Post a Comment