city at night

city at night

Friday, May 29, 2020

More Flowers

For five consecutive days, beginning with Memorial Day weekend, it did not rain here.  In spite of the heat, with temperatures rising above 90F, I was able to make some progress in the garden.  Yesterday we had some light rain, and today it is supposed to rain again, so I am taking a short break from gardening.  Tomorrow we are supposed to have a string of cooler and rainless days, so I will once again be working outside.  

Here are some more pictures from the garden...


 I have many kinds of day lilies in my garden.  This simple yellow variety is always to first to begin blooming.


My lilac bushes are in bloom.  They do not have many flowers however.  I am wondering if the deer have added lilac buds to their menu.  I guess next year I will have to include my two bushes on the list of plants that must be sprayed with deer repellent in the spring.


My garden is almost entirely planted in perennials.  However I put annuals in the hanging baskets and in flower pots.  I have hung several of the baskets.


The flower box outside my bedroom is also filled with annuals.


I previously shared with you a photo of the first of the bearded iris to bloom.
That plant is now full of flowers with more buds yet to open.


And another bearded iris is now blooming.


The smaller, delicate Siberian iris have begun to flower.  (Unlike last year, I sprayed them this spring before the deer had a chance to snack on the buds.)

2 comments:

  1. I'll be out in the flower bed today to finish it up. Where do you get the deer repellent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most any garden center will have it. I have found that "Liquid Fence" spray seems to work the best. I have bought it at Home Depot.

      Delete