city at night

city at night

Saturday, May 16, 2020

An Avocado a Day



Even though they are the most fattening of fruits, avocados are extremely good for your health.  For several years now I have been eating one every morning for breakfast.  My trips to the supermarket are timed according to when I need more avocados.

They MUST be avocados imported from Mexico.  I do not like those big, pale green things from California.  At one time my supermarket started importing avocados from Peru.  They looked just like the ones from Mexico, but they rotted before they ever ripened.  I complained to the produce manager, and ever since, the avocados have been Mexican.

In the hollow I always put a big dollop of black bean dip.  Recently I had a bottle of lime juice that I had bought for a recipe.  I didn't want what was left over to go to waste, so now I put a squirt of lime in each hollow.  Then I throw in a bit of shredded cheese, and then finally the black bean dip.  A yummy way to start the day!  

4 comments:

  1. I love avacados sliced with a little bit of sea salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some sliced avocado with a little salsa wrapped in a tortilla makes a great taco… at least in Mexico where you can get good tortillas.

      Delete
  2. Not being able to go to the grocery store every few days to get avocados has been killing me. I can't seem to get them to ripen at different times (so they'll last me a few days if I buy several at once) even if I buy a mix of riper and unripe ones at the same time. Got any storage tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bought as many as eight avocados at a time. I leave them out and frequently test them for just the slightest softness... a tiny bit of give when you press it. Then I put them in the refrigerator and they seem to last for quite a few days.
      When I am down to two avocados in the refrigerator I buy more so that I am never without a ripe one for breakfast.

      Delete