city at night

city at night

Monday, May 18, 2020

Homesick



Yesterday I was on YouTube and one of the videos that was recommended for me was created by a contributor that goes by the name of "4K Walk".  He (or she) films continuous, unedited walks, capturing the sights and sounds along the streets of cities throughout the world.  Quite a few of them were done in Mexico City, and I have already watched several of those.  Imagine my surprise when I realized that this video was from "Nápoles", the neighborhood where I stay when I am in Mexico City.  I have walked countless times every single step of this 25 minute video.  The film passes restaurants where I have eaten and ends near the Metrobus stop that I would use on a nearly daily basis.  At one point I could see the side street where the apartment I rent is located.  It was filmed last November when I was actually down there.  Large Day of the Dead skulls decorate the pool in front of the World Trade Center.

I have written that sometimes I feel as if I don't know where home is.  Is it Ohio or Mexico City?  Watching this video I felt a very strong sense of homesickness, and I was longing to return.  So I guess that even though I am a life-long resident of Ohio, Mexico City is home too.

You may not find this video as fascinating as I did, but here is the link...

A Walk through Nápoles  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on the 4K Walks- I have just watched a couple CDMEX and they are very interesting. Never having been to the locations they show, a little commentary would be helpful.
    I hope you can back to your second home one of these crazy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I still have my flight reservations for August, but I am doubtful that it will be safe to go.
      I agree with what you say about commentary on the videos. Unless you are familiar with the streets, they could be a bit tedious. But if you know the street it's as if you are out taking a walk.

      Delete
  2. In the 4/4/2020 edition of the Wall Street Journal there is a short article about a village on SW outskirts of MC called Guadalupe Yancuictlalpan 'that has been a hub of weavers and knitters for 200 years.' One of the business places, Tapetes Gualupita uses pedal looms to make rugs, cushions, wall hangings and quilts. Their Website is tapetesgualupita.com . Not sure you had heard of this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I had not heard of it. Thanks. I am always looking for new places to visit, and, you probably know from the blog that I love handicrafts.

      Delete