city at night

city at night

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

A Pot of Soup



Usually when I make soup I just throw things together and don't use a recipe.  However, I found a recipe for cabbage soup on the internet that I thought that I would try.  I followed the recipe, but I could see that this wasn't going to work.  I like my soup to be thick, but I had still not added the cabbage, and there definitely not enough liquid here to call this "soup".  I didn't have another carton of chicken broth... and I wasn't going to go to the store just for that... so I added a some more water and another can of undrained diced tomatoes.  (Since I always buy cans of diced tomatoes with jalapeños, the soup was rather spicy.  That's fine with me, although it might not be to some people's taste.)  Then when I added the cabbage, the recipe said to simmer for six minutes.  Huh?!  In six minutes time, the cabbage is still going to be raw!  I let it simmer for more than an hour, and I also added some cubed ham for additional flavor.

With my alterations, the soup turned out delicious, and, of course, was even tastier the second day.  If I had followed the recipe it would have been raw cabbage stew!




2 comments:

  1. I consider savory recipes as a starting point. Most of them don't work as written. Baking recipes, on the other hand, I follow to the tee.

    Your soup sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn.
      I guess that's why I don't do much baking. Baking recipes are like chemical formulas... there's not much room for leeway.

      Delete