city at night

city at night

Monday, May 4, 2020

A Tour of My Room (Part 2)

Last Thursday I began showing you photos of some of the handicrafts (largely from Mexico) in my bedroom.  Here are some more...



On my dresser are these clay figures.  The larger figure is supposedly of the Mayan god of prosperity.  I bought it from a street vendor in Alejandro's neighborhood, certainly not an area where I would expect to find souvenirs.  The two small dogs are replicas of pre-Hispanic figures from the Colima culture.




Also on my dresser are a piece of southwestern Indian pottery and a very nice wooden box with an inlayed design on the lid.  I found the latter at a handicraft market in Mexico City.





This carving, which I purchased at the shop of a woodcarver in the town of Izamal, Yucatán, is a copy of an image originally carved in stone in a temple at the Mayan city of Palenque.



From left to right on the upper shelf of this stand...
1.) a small piece of pottery which I bought in Oaxaca.
2.) a pot signed by the artist who comes from the state of Michoacán.  I purchased it at the gift shop in a restaurant near the ruins of Teotihuacán outside of Mexico City.
3.) a small mug with decorated with Mayan designs.

On the lower shelf...
1.) an intricately carved wooden box I bought at the gift shop in Chapultepec Castle in Mexico City
2.) a piece of Southwestern pottery which I found at the gift shop of the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone National Park on a trip out west many years ago.
3.) a replica of a Mayan glyph from my most recent trip to Mexico.  I purchased it at the gift shop of the Anthropology Museum in Mexico City.

Finally some items on the shelves of my room...


On top, another piece of southwestern pottery.
In the middle, a small Mexican "chiminea" which was a gift to me from my late friend and teaching colleague, Jane.
On the bottom, pottery which I purchased on a long-ago trip to Mexico in the early 80s.



On top, a woodcarving which I bought in the town of San Antonio de Ibarra, Ecuador, on a trip that I made to South America in the 1980s.
Below it, a woodcarving of a Lacondón Indian from the Mexican state of Chiapas.  I purchased it at one of the "FONART" stores in Mexico City, a chain a government sponsored shops which pays artisans fair prices and which features the best in Mexican handicrafts.

Since this retired teacher won't be traveling for a while, in future posts I may show you some of the handicrafts from other rooms of my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment