flowers

flowers

Friday, December 1, 2023

The Last Month of the Year

 It is December and time to flip the calendar to the last page.  The calendar which I made featuring photos I took at the Cleveland Museum of Art has a work appropriate for the Christmas season.


"Virgin and Child with the Young St. John the Baptist" was painted around 1490.  It is attributed to Sandro Botticelli (oops, I misspelled his name on the calendar).  Botticelli was an important painter of the early Italian Renaissance.  Since he often collaborated with students in his workshop, it is not clear whether or not he painted the entire work.  However, experts are in agreement that he executed the major elements of the painting.  The faces, poses, and Virgin's diaphanous veil are all typical of Botticelli's work.

Before I moved to Mexico, I made a calendar for 2024.  Come January, you will see what the theme of next year's calendar is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment