flowers

flowers

Thursday, December 7, 2023

Earthquake

This afternoon we felt an earthquake here.  The 5.8 quake was centered near the town of Chiautla de Tapia in the southern part of the state of Puebla, about 120 miles away from Mexico City.  Usually, the epicenters are in the states of Oaxaca or Guerrero, but this one was closer to the capital.

I was alone in the apartment when I heard the earthquake alarm go off.  Rather than try to go down the three flights of stairs, I went to the corner of the living room which Alejandro says would be the safest spot.  I was in the apartment only once before when the alarm went off, and that time I felt nothing.  This time however, as soon as I got to my corner, I felt strong shaking for several seconds. 

Afterwards, I tried to called Alejandro several times, but the call would not go through.  Finally, he called me, and let me know that, although they felt it strongly also, everything was OK.  His nephew was sent home from school because it is required that the school building be inspected after a quake.


A photo taken from the internet of people on the street after the alarm sounded.

Just in case you heard the news, I wanted you to know that everyone is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment