flowers

flowers

Saturday, December 9, 2023

At the National Museum of Art

On that cold, gloomy Wednesday of last week, I went downtown to the National Museum of Art.  I have been to the museum numerous times.  There are frequent special exhibits which are often quite good.  At this time there are three exhibits showcasing three artists that were new to me.

I will start with the last exhibit that I visited, and the one that impressed me the least.  There is a small collection of artwork by the Uruguayan painter Petrona Viera (1895-1960).  Viera was the daughter of a doctor who later became President of Uruguay.  At the age of two she contracted meningitis which left her deaf.  Her parents hired a teacher who taught her sign language and how to read lips.  At the age of 20 she began to take private painting lessons, and she joined a Uruguayan art movement known as "planismo".  "Planismo" uses large areas of pure color, and there is a lack of detail or volume.  The exhibit had a number of her paintings, all of them loaned by the National Museum of Visual Arts in Montevideo, Uruguay.  Frankly, I really wasn't impressed by her artwork.


"Self Portrait" 1930



"Looking Through the Window" 1926



"The Little Story" 1926



"Nude Study" 1936



"Manso Beach" 1933



"Landscape" 1933

Next up... the Mexican painter Santos Balmori.








No comments:

Post a Comment