flowers

flowers

Friday, December 29, 2023

Hello Dollies

 On Wednesday, after I had picked up the mail, I hopped on the Metrobus again and went downtown.  Near the Monument to the Revolution there was a large tent set up.  At the entrance were two enormous dolls.


The so-called "María" doll (and her male counterpart "Juan") have become an iconic symbol of Mexico.  They are hand-made by members of the Mazahua and Otomí tribes, but they can be found for sale throughout the country.

I went inside and talked with a couple of the vendors.  They all come from the town of Amealco, in the state of Querétaro, a few hours north of Mexico City.  You might recall that I have visited Amealco a couple of times.  It has become the center for the creation of these rag dolls. More than 3000 Otomí people from the town are involved in making them.

There were a few dozen vendors there, and a plethora of dolls.  The traditional "Marías", with their native attire and ribbons in their hair were in abundance, but I noted that they expanded their line with "grandma dolls", "Day of the Dead" dolls, unibrowed "Frida" dolls, and a variety of different, more elaborate costumes.












Although the dolls predominated, there were other handicrafts.  The Otomí women make beautiful hand-embroidered clothes, and these purses embroidered with "Marías" were interesting.



I have written before that I send dolls to the daughters of a friend of mine.  Even though I had just sent them a couple of dolls for Christmas, I could not resist buying one from Amealco.  They already have a "María" doll, so I bought a "Juan" doll.


2 comments:

  1. That looks like a typical sky of the western US. So beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you put your comment on the wrong post. :-)

      Delete