flowers

flowers

Thursday, December 21, 2023

Toyland

Currently at the World Trade Center there is a toy exposition that runs through January 6th.  (Since January 6th, the Day of the Three Kings, is a traditional day to give children gifts, the expo will still be open for last minute shoppers!)  The admission is free, so last Sunday, Alejandro and I decided to check it out, even though we don't have children to shop for. (Alejandro's nephew is now a teenager.)



The expo is enormous with row after row of every kind of children's toy imaginable.  Visitors were offered BIG shopping bags, and many people were filling them.  Some children are obviously going to get everything on their lists to Santa and the Three Kings.







Alejandro posing at some of the exhibits







There were even some toys and games that I was familiar with.  "Uno" is still around of course, although there are various versions of it.



I didn't realize that they still make "Cabbage Patch" dolls.



There were loads of different Barbie dolls, but I didn't know that there was a "Day of the Dead" Barbie.  I wonder if it is only sold in Mexico.



I know that there are a lot of variations of "Monopoly", but here is one that is strictly for adults... Drinkapoly.


The descriptions say, "The route of drunken fun", "Let the happy hour begin.  You will tour the city on the board where they will give you courtesy shots, you will sing karaoke, dance in the strip-tease bar, courage will invade you, you will take ridiculous photos of yourself, and you will end up getting a pathetic tattoo" and "You will surely not remember what happened the next day, but the photos and your blackmailing friends will remind you."  WOW!


As it turned out, I did buy a couple of things.  Alejandro's nephew Ezra still likes Legos, so I bought him a set to build a sports car.  He also likes jigsaw puzzles.  I bought him a 1000 piece puzzle of a Van Gogh painting.  (Van Gogh is his favorite artist.)  I will probably save those presents to give him on January 6th.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun. Those shopping bags are HUGE! I wish my niece was younger - there was a time when she'd love Dia de Muertos Barbie. Now, however, she can't be bothered to even look up from her phone. But it is what it is, I guess.

    Hope you had a Merry Christmas and that Alejandro's family is feeling better!

    Felices fiestas,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete