flowers

flowers

Friday, December 8, 2023

Not So Tropical

As I have written many times in the past, the climate of Mexico City is far from tropical.  The altitude of more than 7000 feet above sea level creates a climate much more temperate than you would expect for its latitude within the tropics.  Mexico City is located within what is called the "tierra fría"... the cold land.  While it might not be considered cold by Ohio standards, it does get rather nippy here in December and January.

We have had another cold front came through, and since last weekend we have not seen a lot of sunshine.  Hence, the afternoons have not warmed up as they usually do.  On Wednesday, the high temperature never even reached 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and, with a stiff breeze blowing, it felt considerably chillier.  I ventured downtown that day.  I wore a warm, long-sleeved shirt and a light jacket, but I wished that I had worn a warmer jacket.  (Yes, I brought several jackets down here, including a thick leather one that I would often during winter weather in Ohio.)

It was interesting to see the Mexico City residents on the streets dressed for the "cold snap".  Most wore sweaters, hoodies, quilted jackets, or topcoats.  There was an occasional woolen poncho, and some had scarves wrapped around their necks.  It made me shiver to see the few people who were wearing only a short-sleeved shirt.

So, here's a warning to tourists planning to visit during the winter.  Don't pack as if you were going to the beach at Cancún.  Leave the inappropriate shorts and sandals at home, please.

Here are a few photographs of a gray, chilly, December afternoon in downtown Mexico City...

 












In spite of chilly nights, homes generally do not have furnaces.  That night I pulled out the afghan that my mother crocheted for me when I was in college, and I put it on the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment