from airplane

from airplane

Friday, January 20, 2023

Sunday Afternoon at the Movies

 


Alejandro wanted to see the sequel to "Avatar" which is now playing at the movie theaters here.  I usually don't care that much for science fiction, but I enjoyed the first "Avatar" movie.  So, we planned to go see it last weekend.

We wanted to see it in 3-D, and we wanted to see it in English (with subtitles) rather than dubbed into Spanish.  Since the movie lasts more than three hours, we didn't want to go to an evening showing.   As a result, our options were limited.  We found a Sunday afternoon showing at a Cinemex theater in the neighborhood of Roma about 1.5 miles up Insurgentes Avenue from the apartment.  We had done a lot of walking the day before, so we opted to take the Metrobus there.

The movie was good, and the cinematography and special effects were stunning.  It was a very long movie, overly long in my opinion.  The original "Avatar" came out in 2009, and I had forgotten a lot.  I wish that I had gone online and read a synopsis of the old film before seeing the new one.

The ending definitely leaves an opening for an "Avatar 3".

We are talking about going to see another movie this weekend, either the new Tom Hanks movie, "A Man Called Otto" (in Spanish it is called "Un Vecino Gruñon"... "A Grumpy Neighbor"), or "Babylon", a film about Hollywood in the 1920s. 

    

2 comments:

  1. Go see Otto. If you saw the Swedish film, "A Man Called Ove" (OOvuh) or read Fredrik Backman's book, you'll not be disappointed by Tom Hanks and his cast in "A Man Called Otto." Some of it was filmed in Cleveland and also Pittsburgh. I caught Wes sniffling next to me. Babylon is supposed to be very graphic and some found it hard to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw "A Man Called Otto" last Saturday, and I saw "A Man Called Ove" on Netflix some time ago. I liked the Swedish film, but I loved this new version. I was not the only person in the movie theater that was crying.

      Delete