city at night

city at night

Thursday, January 26, 2023

Saturday Night at the Movies

Last Saturday evening, Alejandro and I went to the movie theater at a nearby mall to see the latest Tom Hanks movie, "A Man Called Otto".  In Spanish it is called "Un Vecino Gruñón" (A Grumpy Neighbor).


(images taken from the internet)



Previous to going to see the movie, I had watched the trailer online.  I thought to myself that it seemed very familiar.  I did a bit of research and discovered that it is a remake of a Swedish film called "A Man Called Ove".  I had watched that movie on Netflix some time ago.

I also learned that part of the Tom Hanks movie was filmed in Ohio.  The train used in one of the scenes is the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad which runs through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, not far from my home.

I liked the Swedish movie, and I loved the remake.  Tom Hanks does a wonderful job as always, but it is the Mexican actress Mariana Treviño, cast as Otto's new neighbor, who really steals the show.  Some critics called the film overly sentimental.  Yeah, it's a tearjerker.  I admit to crying, and there were others in the audience, both male and female, who were sniffling.  

I highly recommend the film.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment