city at night

city at night

Thursday, January 12, 2023

Another Tragedy on the Metro

Less than a year ago, in May of 2021, an overpass on Line 12 of the Mexico City Metro collapsed leaving 26 people dead and 98 injured.  You may have heard or read on the news that last Saturday there was another accident on the subway.  It occurred on Line 3 of the Metro.  A train crashed into another train that was stopped.  There was one fatality, and 57 people were injured.  If the crash had occurred on a weekday when the Metro is much more crowded it could have been an even greater tragedy.

(Image taken from the internet)


I thought about that incident on Tuesday when I took the subway for the first time on this trip.  


I was on Line 3, although I was far from the scene of the accident and going in the opposite direction.  Usually, I get on the last car of the train because it is generally less crowded.  However, remembering that many of the injured were on the last car of the train that was rammed, I decided to get onto the next to the last car.  The likelihood of there being an accident when I am on the subway is remote, but I suppose that it would be prudent if I change my habit of traveling on the last car.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment