from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, January 19, 2023

A Very Ritzy Supermarket

I earlier wrote about the upscale Chedraui Selecto supermarket that recently opened near my apartment.  Well, on Saturday Alejandro and I took a long walk through the Colonia del Valle neighborhood, and we came to a supermarket that is far ritzier than Chedraui Selecto... City Market.  

I had heard of City Market, but neither Alejandro nor I had never been in one.  So, we went inside to check it out.

The first City Market was opened in 2006 by the Comercial Mexicana retail chain.  This branch in Colonia del Valle was the second store, opening in 2008.  Although Comercial Mexicana was bought out by the Soriana chain in 2015, City Market has continued to expand.  There are now 13 of them throughout Mexico.

Although you will find all the normal grocery items here, there is a wide variety of gourmet and imported products.  Here you will find Beluga caviar, French truffles and champagne, Waygu beef from Japan, Iberian ham, and Cuban cigars.  



 After wandering around the store a bit, we came upon a "gelatería", so we decided to sit down and have a gelato.



Yummy!

I doubt that I will shop here frequently, but I if I am looking for something I can't find at Walmart Express or Chedraui Selecto, this would be the place to come.

4 comments:

  1. Much, much ritzier than Heinen's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had a City Market here for two years. I've been three times when someone took me there. Their almond croissants are delicious and of course there are all kinds of things that you can't find anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The City Market is about a half hour walk from my apartment, so I probably won't go there very often.
      The bakery department looked wonderful... just as well if I stay away from there!

      Delete