city at night

city at night

Friday, July 1, 2022

Priced to Sell

 I wrote earlier that I have decided to sell my house in Ohio and move permanently to Mexico.  The sale and final move probably won't occur until 2023 or 2024, but I am already taking steps to clear the house of decades of accumulated stuff.

I went through my clothes and filled six bags which I took to Goodwill earlier this week.  Then I started going through closets, cabinets and cupboards.  I have only scratched the surface but I quickly had enough things that to have a yard sale.  So that's what I did yesterday.  I was up at 5:30 in the morning.  I had breakfast and showered, and then, by 6:10 I had begun to haul everything outside.  My cousin Gail said that she come over at 8:00 to help, but by that time I had almost finished.  

Everything was priced to sell.  Most items were $1 or less, and nothing was over $20.  I would have just thrown everything out, but I figured I could probably earn a few bucks with a yard sale.


A driveway full of stuff I no longer want or need.
My cousin is in the background as we await our first customer.


There was a table full of board games, several tables of household items, and a table of books.


There were a couple tables full of Christmas items.  These sold quite well.
I used to participate in local art shows, and one of the things I used to sell were Christmas tree ornaments which I hand-painted.  I still had a cabinet filled with more than twenty boxes of plain ornaments that I had never touched.  My cousin called a friend who goes all-out on decorating for Christmas (six Christmas trees in her house!), and she said that she would buy them all!


From my days of participating in art shows, I had loads of paintings that I had never sold.  I put them out at a bargain price.  My cousin said that at that price people would probably buy them just for the frames.  However, a neighbor loved my paintings and bought three of them.  A couple of friends stopped by and bought four more.  So, I know that those paintings will have a good home.

In spite of how cheap all the prices were, by the end of the day, I still made $164.  There was still a lot of stuff left but hauling everything back in the garage definitely did not take as long as setting up.   

The forecast for today is hot with a high of 90 F and a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon.  However, Saturday it is supposed to be cooler and sunny.  I have already found more stuff to put up for sale.  So, I will take a break today and have round two on Saturday.

There will probably be more sales in my future.  I haven't even gone up into the attic!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for making the first move! Ha, a pun. When I moved 4 years ago I made $20,000 USD. I sold a lot of furniture and folkart. I was astounded. It came in handy once I had the expense of the move of what was left and getting settled. In fact, I live on less then $20,000 a year in Mexico! Good luck. When I left the USA and closed down the business and house, I had FIVE sales. Again, made quite a bit of $$. Only brought art and books to Mx. then

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I don't expect to make more than a few hundred dollars from yard sales. I am going to make life easy on myself and simply have a liquidator empty the house of what's left.

    ReplyDelete