city at night

city at night

Friday, July 8, 2022

A Local Taco Joint

Last month my cousin Gayle and I went out for lunch.  She told me to choose the restaurant, so I was looking on Google Maps for someplace new in the vicinity.  I found a place called "Blue Habanero" that seems to be part of a recent restaurant trend of establishments featuring "street tacos" and tequila.  (There are two other similar places that have opened nearby.)   I looked at the menu, and, although the prices were nothing like those of "street taco" stands or even the sit-down "taquerías" in Mexico City, they did have some items that you usually do not find on the menus of Mexican restaurants up here.  So, I decided that we would give it a try.  I did not know that Gayle had already been there, but she was not upset when pulled into the parking lot.  

The decor of the place, with its Day of the Dead theme is quite striking.


   





We were seated at a booth, and the waitress took our drink order.  I had seen "jamaica" (you might describe it as iced tea made with hibiscus flowers) on the menu on the internet.  However, I did not see it on the menu there.  I asked the waitress about it, and she said "yes" that they have "jamaica".   When she brought our drinks, my "jamaica" was in a margarita glass, and when I tasted it, I realized that she had given me a "jamaica" margarita.  I can't stand the taste of tequila, and I explained to the waitress that I just wanted an "agua de jamaica".  There was no problem.  She took back my margarita and brought me the non-alcoholic "jamaica".

For a starter we shared an order of guacamole and chips.  I thought that the guacamole was extremely bland.  We also ordered "esquites"... which they called "Mexican street corn".  It is snack made with whole kernel corn, mayonaise, lime juice, chili powder and cheese.  It was all right, but it lacked the flavor of what I have had in Mexico.

For our main course Gayle ordered shrimp tacos.  I asked for the shredded pork tacos that were supposed to be like "cochinita pibil".   "Cochinita pibil" is a Yucatecan dish in which the pork is marinated in orange juice, flavored with "achiote" (a seasoning known as annatto in English) and served with pickled onions.  There are three tacos to an order, and you also get a side.  I chose "sopa Azteca" as my side.



My soup lacked flavor.  The tacos were OK, but a native of the Yucatán would probably turn his nose up at them.

I give the place credit for offering some different menu items, but I don't plan to return to "Blue Habanero".  Call me a Mexican food snob, but I will wait until I return to Mexico City to have tacos that are far more flavorful at a fraction of the cost.


No comments:

Post a Comment