city at night

city at night

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

No Surprise

At this point I have told all my friends and relatives about my plan to sell my house and move permanently to Mexico City sometime next year.  The reaction has been "no surprise"... well, actually, surprise that I didn't make this decision earlier.  Although they are sad to see me leave, they generally think that I am making the right choice.  Some have said that, once I have settled in down there, they will come to visit me.  So, I will continue to play "tour guide", a role that I enjoy very much.  

In less than two weeks, I leave for my usual trip in August.  My landlady, who lives in Chicago, has asked me to do some investigating on what condos in the neighborhood are selling for.  Alejandro has a friend who is a realtor, and I am going to ask him to take a look at the apartment.  He can also fill me in on the procedures of buying a home in Mexico.  I am sure that there is plenty of bureaucracy.  Since I have never moved in my entire adult life, I do not even know the "ins and outs" for selling a house up here.  Fortunately, my neighbor across the street is also a realtor, and he will handle the sale of my home.  

Fellow-blogger Barbara from San Miguel has given me the names of a couple of reliable movers to ship my stuff from Ohio to Mexico.  Since the owners of the condo are leaving all the furniture in place, I will not have to transport that much.  The furnishings in the condo are very lovely, but, still, I am going to want to make the place my own.  I asked my landlady if it would be presumptuous on my part to start bringing down some things.  She said of course not.  So, I have packed in my suitcases some smaller handicrafts, artwork, photos, and articles of clothing that I want to keep.  As far as clothing goes, I already have plenty down there.  I have donated six big bags of clothing to Goodwill, and there will eventually be much more to donate as I get rid of stuff in my closet.  As I wrap up some treasured Mexican handicrafts, I find it amusing that they are making the journey back to Mexico.  I have my flight reservations for the trips that I always take in October / November and January / February.  By that time, I should be able to transport most of the little things.  Every time I walk through my house, I am making mental notes of what I want to take down there.  

I am still very anxious about this big move, but I am beginning to feel as if everything will fall in place. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so thrilled for you! Even if you pay the additional fee for a suitcase filled with things, it is cheaper then a mover! And, if you fly first class, I think you can take up to three suitcases at no cost. I might be wrong.........check on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, the above comment by anonymous was me

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am flying first class, so I am checking two suitcases that are over fifty pounds. I will still need a mover however, because I have a few pieces of furniture that I want and some artwork that will not fit in the suitcase.

      Delete
  2. No problem. Whenever you are ready I will send the contact info to you!

    ReplyDelete