city at night

city at night

Monday, April 22, 2019

Hello Señor Montezuma

You could classify this entry under "Too much information"... but since Montezuma's Revenge is on the mind of most tourists to Mexico, I figured that I should go ahead and post this.

I have lost track of how many trips to Mexico I have made in my lifetime.  It is possibly more than 100.  Yet I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times which I have suffered from Montezuma's Revenge.  Early this morning Montezuma came a visiting.  It's very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of the malady.  Tourists will often blame the last restaurant where they ate, but sometimes it takes a couple days before symptoms strike.  In my case, my best guess is that I simply ate way too much yesterday.  I had a huge plate of "chilaquiles" when we went out for breakfast.  In the afternoon, Alejandro and I went to a nearby establishment that sells "tortas", Mexican sandwiches that are so tasty but not very healthy.  The place is a greasy spoon, and if it were back home in Ohio, it probably wouldn't pass muster with the Health Department.  Nevertheless I have eaten their "tortas" before with no ill effects.  We took carry out back to Alejandro's family, and no one else got sick.  So I suspect that it was probably not a problem of the food being bad, but rather a matter of the quantity and the combination of what I ate.

Alejandro went out to the store this morning and bought me a Mexican equivalent of Gatorade to keep me hydrated.  (It actually tastes better than the sports drinks that they sell back home.)  He also bought me a couple small bottles of Coca Cola.  I never drink Coke, but in the olden days of my childhood, Coca Cola syrup used to be recommended by doctors to alleviate diarrhea in infants and children.  And he bought me a package of "Salmas", baked corn crackers.  That, plus a couple of Imodium tablets seem to have done the trick.  Hopefully Señor Montezuma has gone bye-bye.



2 comments:

  1. Moctezuma inflicted his revenge on me just the once, about a year and a half after I moved there. The culprit was pretty easy to identify. I had munched on some of those bacon wrapped hot dogs that are sold outside bus stations all over Mexico. But it was the cure - Bactrin - that nearly saw me off to the hereafter. Nasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You must be allergic to Bactrin. I know of another person who had a very bad reaction to it.
      If it's just garden variety Montezuma, usually Imodium does the trick for me. I am already back to normal

      Delete