city at night

city at night

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Another "Torta" Joint

A couple posts ago, I made mention of "tortas", those delicious Mexican sandwiches on crusty rolls.  I am always looking at Google Maps searching for new places to eat, and I found a "tortaría" just a few block from my apartment.  Late one afternoon last week I walked over there to try out their "tortas".


The place is called "Tortas Suiza" (Switzerland Tortas)… don't ask me why.  As you can see in the photo it was very busy, and rather confusing.  I didn't know who was waiting to place an order and who was waiting for their "torta".  Finally, I was directed to one window where I ordered and paid.  I was given a slip of paper with a number and my order written on it.  After some waiting my number was called, I handed the paper to the cook, and he made my sandwich.


The place is tiny, just a counter facing the street and the cooking area behind it.  There are no tables, just an outside shelf along the wall and some stools.  I thought that I was going to have to eat standing up, but fortunately there was a free stool when my order came out.


I ordered a ham "torta".  On the positive side, it was very big (a meal unto itself), inexpensive (only 80 pesos - about $4), it was tasty and not too greasy.  On the negative side, it had way too much cheese on it (maybe that's why they call the place "Switzerland Tortas"), and it was very messy (the garnishes of avocado and jalapeños kept sliding out.  It was an interesting experience, but I'm not sure that I will return.   

2 comments:

  1. I've never had a torta that wasn't a complete mess to eat. I think it's impossible. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the tortas from the greasy spoon near Alejandro's house are not too messy. (Maybe the grease holds them together!) :-)

      Delete