from airplane

from airplane

Monday, January 21, 2019

The Weather Here and There

Many travelers to Mexico City think that they are going to encounter tropical weather.  But due to the city's altitude of over 7000 feet above sea level that is not the case at all, especially in the winter.  At night the lows here have been in the 40s Fahrenheit, and it is still chilly in the morning.  

Yesterday Alejandro and I left the condo for a walk at noon, and, even though it was a beautifully sunny day, the temperature was only 59 degrees.  Alejandro wore a hoodie and I had on a jacket.  As the afternoon progressed, the temperature reached 70 and the hoodie and jacket came off.




Homes here do not have central heating, so there have been evenings in the condo where I have had a small blanket wrapped around me while I work on my blog.  But I can't complain.  The chilly evenings and mornings are preferable to what is going on up north.

Meredith sent me a photo of what it is like in Madison, Wisconsin, less than a week after we were enjoying the warmth of Mérida, Yucatán.



In my hometown of Olmsted Falls, Ohio, they have over ten inches of snow.  The high temperature today is forecast to be 13 degrees, and tonight it will go down to -1 with a wind chill of -12.  My friend Frank who housesits for me sent me a couple of pictures looking out at the back yard.  Notice how much snow is piled up on the table on the patio.




I am very happy to be here in not so tropical Mexico City missing a major portion of the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment