from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Taking Off Again

Tomorrow morning I will be on a plane again headed back to Mexico.  This time, however, I will be flying to Mérida, the capital of the Mexican state of Yucatán, rather than Mexico City.  And you will be meeting a couple of new characters on my blog... Meredith, a former student of mine, and her husband Chuck will be accompanying me.  For four days I will once again play the role of "tour guide" as I show them around Mérida and its surroundings.



My flight from Cleveland to Houston will leave at 11 tomorrow morning.  I will have a long layover in Houston before catching our 6 P.M. flight to Mérida.  I am always paranoid, especially during the winter, about allowing plenty of time to make my connection.  Meredith and Chuck will be flying in from Milwaukee, and they have the same attitude and have an even longer layover.  Since there is only one flight each day from Houston to Mérida, missing the connection would result in losing an entire day of the trip.

As it turns out tomorrow's weather forecast in both Cleveland and Milwaukee does not call for any winter storms, so our long layovers may be an unnecessary precaution.  But it is better to be safe than sorry.  (Here in Ohio, as I write this the temperature is an unseasonable 52 degrees, and we are having a thunderstorm.  Tomorrow the temperature will drop down into the twenties, but no snow is predicted.)

When we arrive in Mérida at 8 P.M. tomorrow night the skies will be clear and the temperature will be 72.  Sounds perfect for a late supper at a sidewalk café!  There is no rain in the forecast for our four days there, and the highs will be in the 80s.  I can live with that!

When Meredith and Chuck return to Wisconsin, I will fly on to Mexico City and spend more than a month there at the condo that I rent.  When I return to Ohio in late February I will have hopefully missed the worst of the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment