zocalo

zocalo

Sunday, May 5, 2024

The Shorts Question

In my fifty years of traveling, I have never worn shorts in Mexico City.  It goes back to my first trip to Mexico, when I attended the University of the Americas during the winter quarter of my junior year.  At the orientation session for "gringo" students we were told, in no uncertain terms, that we should not wear shorts.  In those days, any male who still wore shorts after reaching adolescence was viewed as... uhm, shall we say, effeminate.  And a female who wore shorts was looked upon as a woman of dubious virtue.  Besides, in the high-altitude climate of Mexico City, where the temperature rarely reaches 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and evenings can be downright chilly, shorts are really not necessary.

However, in the last few years, I have gradually seen more residents wearing shorts.  It was mostly teenagers, twenty-somethings, and guys who were obviously on their way to the gym.  Except for clueless gringo tourists, you definitely didn't see anyone my age wearing shorts.

As I have written before, Mexico City has been experiencing a heat wave which I believe is unprecedented.  Since February 21st, we have had 71 days with temperatures of 80 or above. (Four of those days the thermometer hit 90.)  The majority of guys are still wearing long pants, but I am seeing more, even a few older men, wearing shorts.




 

I do have a couple pairs of shorts here, tucked away in a drawer.  Last Wednesday, the temperature was 86, and I was on a Metrobus that was packed like a can of sardines.  By the time I got home, I was so tempted to change into shorts.  But I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment