zocalo

zocalo

Monday, May 6, 2024

A Taste of Veracruz

On Thursday afternoons, the cleaning lady comes to the apartment.  I get out of her way, leave the apartment, and, rather than cook, I go out for my afternoon dinner.  Last Thursday, I was looking at Google maps, searching for someplace different to eat.  I found a place that had very good reviews.  It's called "Fonda del Recuerdo", which translates loosely as "Inn of the Reminiscence".   It is located north of the Paseo de la Reforma, just a short walk from the Monument to Independence, on Río Lerma Street.  Although the menu includes a variety of Mexican dishes, the emphasis is on the cuisine of the state of Veracruz.

So, that was my destination on Thursday.  The sign says "Comida mexicana jarocha"... jarocha Mexican food.  "Jarocha" is a word referring to anyone or anything from the state of Veracruz.



I started off with a "gorda veracruzana".  I was expecting it to be something like a "gordita", which is rather small.  So, I was surprised when the waiter served me something that filled the dinner plate.


However, the "gorda" is inflated.  When I cut into it, it was hollow inside.  It's not as enormous as it first appears.  It is made of corn dough mixed with ground beans, and you are served tomato sauce and "crema" to spoon over it.  It was a very tasty appetizer.


I then had the Tarascan soup, which is similar to tortilla soup.  It's not a specialty of Veracruz since the Tarascan tribe comes from the west-central state of Michoacán.  It was, however, very good also.


For my main dish I had the "chile huasteco" which is a specialty of the Huasteca region of northern Veracruz.  The poblano pepper was stuffed with beans, cheese and plantain, and covered with a tomato sauce.  The contrast between sweet and savory flavors was very interesting and delicious.



After all that food, I really should not have ordered dessert, but I was tempted by something called "Delicia de guayaba"... guava delight.  It was similar to a cheesecake but made with a guava mousse.  With it I had "café de olla", coffee brewed with cinnamon and brown sugar and traditionally served in a clay mug.



Everything was delicious, and the service was also very friendly and attentive.  Sometime when Alejandro and I are along the Paseo de la Reforma, I will definitely have to take him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment