zocalo

zocalo

Saturday, May 4, 2024

Another Salsa

I have shown you how to make salsa in a "molcajete", a stone mortar and pestle.  Last week I decided to make a different salsa, one that did not require grinding by hand.  I took out one of my old Mexican cookbooks.  I have several, but this one is the most authentic, and the one I have used the most... and the pages stained with cooking oil and salsa prove it.  


The author of the book, Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz, was an Englishwoman who married a Mexican diplomat.  When they moved to Mexico City, she wanted to learn how to cook the cuisine of the country.  In the humorous introduction to the book, she tells of her efforts in a country where women of her social standing were expected to let the help do the shopping and cooking.  With her cookbook, published in 1967, she was one of the first to introduce audiences in the U.S. and Britain to genuine Mexican dishes.  

I turned to the chapter on salsas, and I decided to make "salsa de chile chipotle".  I chopped an onion and a clove of garlic, and sauteed them until tender.  I added 4 Roma tomatoes, skinned and chopped, and three canned chipotle peppers, chopped.  I realized that I don't have any measuring spoons here, so I guessed on 1/2 teaspoon of oregano and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.  I added salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.  I let that cook gently for about 15 minutes.  And that is all there is to it.  I have another batch of homemade salsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment