from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Falling Water

I took advantage of some of the nice days that we have had in March by taking some walks.  At first, I was not taking the long hikes in the park that I have described on numerous occasions here on the blog.  I was walking, instead of taking the car, to run errands to the post office or the pharmacy.  On some of those shorter walks however I did cut through a nearby portion of the Metroparks.  Here is a small waterfall not far from downtown Berea in the Mill Stream Run Reservation of the park.  


I have passed by here countless times in my life, but, until I looked at Google Maps, I did not even know that it is called Horseshoe Falls.  In fact, it is not a natural waterwall, but is created by a dam built across the east branch of the Rocky River.  Behind it is Baldwin Lake.



A few days later I took a short walk in another part of the park in the Rocky River Reservation just a mile or so downstream along the river.


Here there is an overlook with a view of Berea Falls.  This is a natural waterfall where the river cascades over ledges of sandstone.  I have read that there is a short trail that goes down to the falls, although I have never noticed the trailhead.  Perhaps this summer I will look for it and walk down to the river.

Last Sunday I returned to the Metroparks and took a walk of over two hours, but that will be the topic of another entry later.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment