city at night

city at night

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Mother's Day Bazaar

When Alejandro and I set out for Coyoacán last Sunday, I grabbed some pesos to put in my wallet.  I figured that I might see some handicrafts (and if you have read my blog for long, you know that I can't resist Mexican handicrafts).

After visiting the watercolor museum, we walked to Coyoacán's main plaza.  We stopped for something to drink at a little café called "La Catrina".  Alejandro posed with the "catrina" and the "catrín" in front of the café.




In one corner of the plaza a couple of artists had set up their paintings for sale.  There were several that caught my eye, and I had a chat with one of the artists.  However the pictures were not cheap (rightly so) and too big for my suitcase.  Besides, I have no place to hang any more artwork at home.




At the entrance to the portico of the Church of San Juan Bautista there was an oversized Mexican doll advertising a Mother's Day Bazaar.



Of course we had too check it out.




Among the vendors were this couple who make colorful women's shoes.  They also make really cool tee-shirts that I really liked.




A vendor from Pátzcuaro in the state of Michoacán had beautiful lacquerware. 




Some interesting basketry…




There was a couple from the village of San Martín Tilcajete in the state of Oaxaca who were selling beautiful "alebrijes".  On previous trips I have purchased two museum-quality "alebrijes" from different artisans from San Martín Tilcajete.  These are not the cheap "alebrijes" that you see for sale in every handicrafts market, but pieces of fine art... hand carved and hand painted with incredibly intricate designs.



I was very tempted (I did have my credit card with me), but I abstained.  I did not, however, leave the bazaar empty handed, and there were very few pesos left in my wallet by the time we were done.


No comments:

Post a Comment