city at night

city at night

Friday, August 5, 2016

Souvenir Shopping in Switzerland

Switzerland is an expensive country, and I was not planning to buy many souvenirs.  But today Brigitta and Peter went to the supermarket to shop for tomorrow's party, and I accompanied them.  As we were going through the store, one section called to me with the voice of an alluring siren... the grocery aisle labeled "Schocolade".


There before me was a tempting array of Swiss chocolates with names such as Lindt, Toblerone and Cailler.  (There were at the very bottom of the shelf some products labeled Kit-Kat, Mars, etc., but they did not merit my attention.)  At first I simply picked out a package of Lindt chocolates for myself... a bedtime snack that I could enjoy while I am still here.  But then I turned back and picked up more items.  I told myself that genuine Swiss chocolates would make nice gifts for friends at home, and they don't take up a lot of room in the suitcase.  Before we left the store, I went back a third time, and selected more.  By the time I reached the check-out, I had around $50 worth of chocolate delights.

Yes... the chocolate aisle of the supermarket is your one-stop souvenir center when in Switzerland!      

6 comments:

  1. That's like the cheese aisle when you're visiting Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Swiss are no slouches when it comes to cheese either, but I wouldn't trust bringing it home unrefrigerated.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  2. ...and the cookies/biscuits I pile into my cart in every grocery I visit in another country! I'm glad you arrived safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies were on the other side of the aisle, and were very tempting also. But I had to restrain myself!
      Abrazos,
      Bill

      Delete
  3. Another friend of mine lives in France but works in Geneva, and she has marveled at the amazing chocolate selection in every Swiss supermarket. It looks amazing!

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    CDMX, México
    Where there seems to be a proliferation of Polish chocolate in the supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment reminded me that I have a package of chocolates for myself to snack on here! I find it distressing that in Mexico, the home of chocolate, most of the chocolate companies are owned by foreign companies.

      Delete