city at night

city at night

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Oh No! I Ate Rudolph!

There are some foods which I have absolutely no desire to try.  When I am in Mexico you will not see me munching on "chapulines" (grasshoppers), and when I am in France you will not see me order escargot.  However, on my trip to Norway I was looking forward to trying reindeer.  

As I was wandering around the little town of  Balestrand, I noticed a restaurant that had reindeer sausage on the menu.  So, that is where I went for supper last night.  When I was seated I was told that the special that night was reindeer stew, a dish that dates back centuries from the reindeer herders of Lapland in the north.  


That's what I ordered.  When my supper came out, I paused for a moment and wondered how it would taste.  And then I dug in, and it tasted delicious; not the least bit gamey!



For dessert i ordered something called "Verdens Beste" (The World's Best Cake).  The menu explained that back in the 1970s there was a TV cooking show that offered a prize for the best cake recipe.  The winner was the wife of a Norwegian fisherman, and the recipe has become popular throughout the country.

.
 I'm not sure that I would go so far as to say that it's the best cake in the world, but it was definitely a scrumptious and decadent end to a very tasty meal!
 

5 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting to ask: did you end up learning much Norwegian before your trip? How are you getting by, language-wise? (I dabbled in Norwegian many years ago, but all I remember now is about 5 different ways to say "thank you.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't attempt to teach myself any Norwegian. Because I was teaching myself German for Switzerland, I didn't want to mix up the two languages.
      I had reached the point with the German where I was thinking "This is starting to get difficult," and I didn't plan on continuing when I return home. However I really did have fun using my little bit of German, and my cousins say that I have a very good accent. So... I guess I might continue to slog through more lessons.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I have yet to run into a Norwegian who does not speak fluent English.

      Delete
  2. Something for your "to do list."
    http://www.graciousoffering.com/blog/2014/5/15/worlds-best-cake
    It doesn't look that difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the story on the menu, their cook is one of the few people in town who are able to make it. The owner of the restaurant supposedly attempted it, and everyone called it "the world's worst cake".
      Since I am not much of a baker, I will let you give the recipe a try!

      Delete