city at night

city at night

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my last full day in Switzerland, and it also happens to be my birthday.

Brigitta and Peter had to go into Zurich early this morning, so they suggested that I take the train into the city around 9:00 A.M. and meet them for breakfast at a café owned by one of Switzerland's finest chocolatiers, Sprungli.  Peter said that they would wait for me on the first floor.

By 9:30 I arrived at the "Bahnhof" (train station) in downtown Zurich.


From there I headed down "Bahnhofstrasse", Zurich's most elegant shopping avenue.  I easily found Sprungli.



I looked inside, but there was no sign of Brigitta and Peter.  So, I waited outside on the sidewalk.  After a few minutes I noticed someone coming down the street  who looked a lot like my cousin Annatina (Brigitta's daughter).  It was Annatina!  "Aren't they here yet?" she asked me.  Stupid me, I should have known better.  In Europe, just as in Mexico, what we call the first floor is the ground floor, and the first floor is what we call the second floor.  We went upstairs and there were Brigitta and Peter.  They had already ordered a sampler tray of chocolates for me.


Annatina and Brigitta 

And then there were the birthday presents.  Annatina gave me a box of traditional chocolate cookies called "huppen".  Brigitta, who is an accomplished seamstress and who has an embroidery machine, embroidered a towel with the two Swiss German words that I learned while I was here...


"Gruezi" is a typical Swiss greeting, and remember "Schlorziflade"?... the local dessert that I managed to order when we were at the Alpine fest.  Now I will have no excuse for forgetting those words!

It was a great beginning to my birthday.  Tomorrow I leave for Norway, but I still have more to tell about my day in Zurich.

 
 

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Sounds like you found a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith.
      Yes, it was a great day! One of my more memorable birthdays.

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY my dear cousin! How wonderful to spend your birthday in our "home town." I've loved reading about your trip, which makes me want to visit even more. I think Annatina resembles Jess! Have fun in Norway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. You have an invitation from Brigitta to visit!

      Delete
  3. PS - I've been on line and found a recipe for the pear tart, but I can't find a translation for birnenweggenfullung which is the filling. I'm thinking it's pureed pears. If you can find out, I'll make you a Schlorziflade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The filling is more than just pureed pears. It had a lot of spices in it. Even my Swiss cousins wouldn't know because it is a specialty of that area of Switzerland. They had never heard of it before.

      Delete
    2. I think I can figure it out, although it won't be like eating it in Switzerland! I think we need a visit to Das Schnitzel Haus, and it won't be $75!

      Delete
    3. Das Schnitzel Haus sounds good to me!

      Delete
  4. A rather belated birthday greeting from me! Enjoyed reading about your travels to Switzerland and Norway. Sorry I've not had time to comment!

    ReplyDelete