city at night

city at night

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

On to the Sognefjord

Today I left Bergen to go to Norway's largest fjord, the Sognefjord.

My ship left Bergen's passenger terminal at 8:00 A.M.  Bergen was shrouded in fog...


and by the time we left the harbor, the fog was so thick that nothing was visible.


I went inside the vessel and sat down in one of its comfortable seats, and I fell asleep.  When I awoke an hour later, the sun was shining brightly.  I went outside, and spent much of the remaining three hours on the boat taking pictures.








I got off the ship at Balestrand, located about halfway down the fjord.  Balestrand is a cute little town located in a beautiful setting.




The "grande dame" of hotels in the town is the Hotel Kviknes.  It was built in 1877 and is one of the largest wooden buildings in northern Europe.


I'm staying at a much more modest place.  However, I am very happy with my choice, the Balestrand Hotel.


It is located right across the street from the shore, and its view is just as beautiful as from the Hotel Kviknes.

.
 A single room costs under $100 per night... a real bargain in expensive Norway... and my room is three times as large as the tiny room I had in Bergen.



I have already fallen in love with Balestrand, and I am so glad that I decided to spend four nights here for a leisurely stay on the Sognefjord.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment