city at night

city at night

Friday, August 19, 2016

Coming Back for Rudolph's Cousin

I wrote about the reindeer stew which I had for dinner a few nights ago.  The restaurant where I ate was an interesting little place called Pilgrim.  It is owned by an English painter by the name of Arthur Adamson and his wife Bjorg Bjoberg, a Norwegian watercolorist.  Their art gallery is adjacent to the restaurant.

Last night I went back to Pilgrim for supper.  This time the special was "elg" stew.  I had assumed that "elg" was the Norwegian word for elk... but then I looked at the picture and thought, "that's a moose, not an elk."  I double-checked on the internet, and, yes, "elg" means moose.


The moose stew was also very tasty.  I do think that I prefer the reindeer stew.  The moose meat is a bit chewy. 



I can now say that I have eaten two things in Norway that I had never eaten before... reindeer and moose! 

POSTSCRIPT - This evening I went back to the Pilgrim again for supper.  This time I ordered Norwegian meatballs... another very tasty meal.  The meatballs are made from pork and ox.  The flavor is unique... it's like a cross between meatballs and sausages.

I had a very nice conversation with the co-owner Bjorg.  She said that since I had been to her restaurant 3 out of my 4 nights in Balestrand, dessert was on the house.  She also gave me a couple of cards featuring her original artwork.  I told her that I do a painting each year to use for my Christmas cards.  I got her address and told that I would send her one.

What a pleasant ending to my stay in Balestrand! 

4 comments:

  1. Hey, leave a few reindeer for Santa's sleigh, or two little boys I know will be very angry with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell your grandsons that I talked with the chef, and he assured me that no reindeer from the North Pole were used in the stew.

      Delete
  2. First Rudoplh and now Bullwinkle?! Who's next, Yogi Bear??!!

    Your scenic shots are great!
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, reindeer and moose aren't any different than eating venison! (Oops, sorry! That's Bambi's mommy!)
      Yes, the scenery here is spectacular!

      Delete