city at night

city at night

Friday, March 31, 2023

An Even Earlier Finish

My readers already know that every year I paint a picture that I use for my Christmas card.  I usually do the painting in the summer.  I take it to a local printer who makes the cards.  I get them made out before I leave on my October / November trip to Mexico, and when I return around Thanksgiving, the cards are ready to send out.

This year I started working on the painting even earlier than usual.  You see, I was wondering how I was going to send out Christmas cards if I am going to permanently move to Mexico sometime in 2023.  The postal service in Mexico is horrendous and makes the U.S. postal service, even at its very worst, look like "Speedy González".  My friend Gayle came up with a solution, at least for this year.  She told me to do my painting early, get the cards printed, make out the cards, and put stamps on them.  Then, before I make my final move, give them to her, and she would put them in the mail around Thanksgiving.

Yesterday I completed the painting.  Of course, the subject of the painting is always a secret.  Usually it is based on a photo that I have taken on my travels.  I will say, however, that the subject this year is something different.


As it turns out, I think I have found a solution for the mail problem in Mexico.  I found a private company that provides mail delivery, and I think that they offer service in both directions.  For this year, however, I will do as Gayle suggested.



No comments:

Post a Comment