city at night

city at night

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

A Card from Switzerland

When I returned from Mexico last week, there was a Christmas card from Switzerland waiting for me.  It was sent by my cousin Vera.  Last year she sent me a card that was an example of "Scherenschnitte", a traditional Swiss art which translates as "scissor cuts".  I had told her how much I liked it, so this Christmas she sent me another one.


"Scherenschnitte" is an art form which dates back to the 16th century.  Beautiful intricate designs are cut by hand out of black paper.  Although the cards are machine-made, they are based on original designs by Esther Gerber, a noted "Scherenschnitte" artist.  I now have two of them.  I plan to have them framed, and to take this bit of Switzerland with me when I make the move to Mexico.

Vielen Dank, Vera! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bill, I feel honoured to be mentioned on your blog! =) Glad you liked the card, although it took a little longer than expected to reach you.
    Lots of love, Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am honored to have my wonderful Swiss family!
      Love from your cousin, Bill

      Delete