from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Anticipating Christmas

Just as in the United States the Christmas shopping season traditionally kicks off with "Black Friday" the day after Thanksgiving, in Mexico the season begins with the "Buen Fin", when most stores offer bargains during the three-day weekend of Revolution Day (November 19th through November 21st this year).  However, that is not to say that businesses have not already started to decorate for the holidays.

At the World Trade Center, Krispy Kreme has started to put up their Christmas tree.  The giant donut-shaped ornaments still have to be put in place.


 

Several of the shops and restaurants at the World Trade Center seem to have adopted a common theme of holiday archways at their entrances.







Up the avenue at the Insurgentes Shopping Mall, the Christmas tree is already in place.



Last Thursday I went to the Jamaica Market.  I thought that perhaps, now that Day of the Dead is over, their Christmas market might be set up.  I hoped to buy some traditional clay Nativity figures to add to my collection.  However, the Christmas stalls which run along the outside of the market building were not there yet.  There was one stall inside that was already selling artificial Christmas trees and ornaments.


In the enormous flower section of the market, the poinsettias had not yet taken over.  I only saw one vendor with the traditional Christmas flowers for sale.


I'm sure that in another week, it will be a different story.  I hope that I have a chance to return to the Jamaica Market before I go back to Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment