city at night

city at night

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

A Change of Plans

This morning I was supposed to be on a flight on my way home.  However, I have changed my flight reservations, and I will not leave Mexico until next Monday.

Alejandro was scheduled to have gall bladder surgery during my stay here.  In Mexico, it is customary, maybe even required, that somebody be with the patient in the hospital room.  Alejandro's elderly father would not be able to be there, and Alejandro's sister would have to take off work.  So, I was going to be with him in the hospital for two days. 

Then, due to red tape with the insurance company, the surgery was postponed and rescheduled for tomorrow.  Last week when Alejandro was informed of the new date, I changed my reservation, and fortunately I did not have to pay much for the change.

Yesterday, Alejandro had to get a PCR Covid test prior to surgery.  I was concerned that the laboratories would be closed since it was a national holiday, Revolution Day.  We went first to a lab not far from his house, the same lab I used back when a quick COVID test was required prior to returning to the U.S.  They were open, but they could not guarantee that the results would be back in time for the surgery.  So, we went to nearby branch of El Chopo, a major chain of laboratories in Mexico City.  They were also open, but they did not offer the PCR test.  They told us to go to another branch of El Chopo located about a half hour away.  We went there, and fortunately they said that he would have the results by 10:00 this morning.  He took the test, and in fact the results... negative... were emailed to him at 8:00 last night.

Late this afternoon, Alejandro and I will leave for the hospital.  I am not taking my laptop with me.  So, for a day or two I will not be posting on the blog.

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes that Alejandro's surgery is as easy as mine was and he is back home and well in a few days! Glad you could be there with him Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. Since he is having laparoscopic surgery, it should be an easy, and not very painful procedure.

      Delete