from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, November 10, 2022

A Taste of Korea

On Saturday, after visiting the disappointing "marigold experience", Alejandro and I decided to go somewhere different for lunch.  We had talked before about trying out one of the many Korean restaurants that are located in the Zona Rosa district to the south of the Paseo de la Reforma.  Mexico City has a sizeable Korean community, with over 6,000 people of Korean birth, plus Mexican citizens of Korean ancestry.  A large percentage of them live in the Zona Rosa neighborhood.

We walked down Florencia Avenue and looked at the menus of a few of the restaurants.  We decided on one and went inside.  Next to us was a table of four who were all speaking Korean and who had table full of food.  Our waiter told us that about 80% of their clientele were Korean, which I took as a good sign that the food is authentic.

We had absolutely no experience with Korean food, and I cannot tell you the names of the dishes that we ordered. However, the food was good, and we agreed that we would try Korean food again.

Before we were served our entrees, an array of appetizers was set out on our table. 


Alejandro is proficient using chopsticks, and he tried showing me how to use them.  I gave up, however, and ending up eating with the spoon.


I don't remember what Alejandro had, but he was pleased with his meal.


My entree had rice, kimchi (spicy fermented cabbage), bacon, and an egg.  There was also a bowl of chicken broth served separately.  I don't know if I was supposed to pour it into the entree, but I ate it separately as a soup.

So now we can add Korean to the list of international cuisines that we have had in Mexico City.


No comments:

Post a Comment