from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, March 11, 2021

The Tale of the Fridge

 


My refrigerator is twenty five years old.  It is still working, but occasionally it makes noises that it did not used to make.  It is also looking a bit shabby.  It has some marks (rust stains?) that will not wash off.  I decided it was time to get a new one.  I certainly would not want it to go "kaput" while I am in Mexico and my house sitter is here.

I measured the space where it is located, as well as the doorway through which the new fridge must come when delivered.  Unfortunately, we no longer have any independent appliance stores in the area, so I had to go to one of the "big box" stores.  There were a large number of refrigerators on display, but a very limited number that would fit in my space.  My small 1950s kitchen was not designed for the big side-by-side refrigerators that they sell today.  I had to go with a very basic Frigidaire, not unlike the Kenmore that I have now.  I purchased the refrigerator, and they said that it would be delivered on March 5th, and, for an extra fee,  my old one would be hauled off.

The day before, I pulled out the refrigerator and cleaned behind it, and I took off all the magnets that I had on the freezer door.  I was glad that the temperature outside had gone below freezing and that even inside the garage the temperature was below 40.  I cleared out the refrigerator and put everything on a table in the garage.  The contents of the freezer I put in a cooler with ice.

The delivery man arrived, although he did not call to tell me that he was on his way as he was supposed to.  I had the old refrigerator pulled out, unplugged and ready to be hauled away.  The delivery man called me over to the truck.  He showed me that the new refrigerator had some small scratches on the front.  Obviously I was not going to accept the delivery.

So I had to plug in my old refrigerator again, push it back into place, and put everything back into the fridge and the freezer.  I had to make a call to explain why the new one was rejected, and to schedule a date for another delivery.  It will arrive March 18th.  I am hoping that the weather that day is once again cold enough so that I can put everything in the garage ahead of time.  

2 comments:

  1. Billy ran into the same problem in his house. He lives over on the east side of Maple in my grandparents' old house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when my parents moved into this house in the 1950s it was considered quite ritzy. But nowadays... with only one bathroom, no family room and a narrow kitchen... it is probably considered quite basic.

      Delete