from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Second Shot

 

(image taken from the web)

Yesterday I received my second shot of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine.  Back in February when I was eligible for the first shot I was doubtful that I would be able to be inoculated on schedule.  The vaccine was made available to those over 65 the week of February 8.  At that point the supply was limited, and people were scrambling to make an appointment.  I spent that whole day on the computer, and when i secured an appointment at a supermarket pharmacy just twenty minutes away from me and just one week later, I felt as if I had won the lottery.  

Since then, the production of vaccine has ramped up, and seems as if the entire adult population (at least those who want the shots) should be vaccinated by early summer.  Here in Ohio nearly 2.5 million people have received their first dose, just over 20% of the population of the state.  All people over 60 are now eligible to receive the vaccine and this Friday, March 19, it will be open to everyone over the age of 40 as well as those adults who suffer from certain health conditions that put them at greater risk.  By March 29 all Ohioans over the age of 16 will be eligible.  Yesterday the first mass vaccination site in the state opened at the Wolstein Center, Cleveland State University's indoor arena.  Tomorrow a mass vaccination site is opening in Columbus, and 16 more throughout the state are due to open in coming weeks.

After my first shot I had no reaction at all.  This morning, the only reaction to the second shot so far is a sore arm, but no worse than when I received the shingles vaccine last year.

To those who are refusing to take the vaccine because of political reasons or ludicrous conspiracy theories, I just want to shake my head in disbelief.  But I guess it's true... you can't fix stupid.

4 comments:

  1. I got my first shot yesterday at CSU. My only complaint was a sore arm that evening. And if I hadn't gone to my brother's to lift weights, I probably wouldn't have even had that.

    It was very well run. I took my dad as well. My only complaint is that people who didn't need wheel chairs were shuffled to the regular entrance. They didn't mention the huge flight of steep stair you had to go down. My dad told them he couldn't walk them, so they sent us to the area sent up for wheelchair users.

    As we were leaving, I suggested to the people at the wheelchair entrance they tell people about the stairs. Dunno if they will. At least we know when we get our second to tell them this up front so he won't have to walk all the way around the building just to come back to where he parked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! Which vaccine did you receive?

      Delete
    2. The Pfizer one.

      I also may participate in a clinical trial for an experimental flu vaccine. I need to read over the stuff I was sent.

      Delete
    3. Is that the vaccine I read about that may do away with the need for a flu shot every year?

      Delete