flowers

flowers

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

From the Webcams

 As you know, I frequently visit the website Webcams de México, especially during my prolonged absence from Mexico.  One place that I always look at is Popocatépetl, an active volcano outside of Mexico City that is the second highest peak in the country.  A few weeks ago, for the heck of it, I checked out the webcam at night.  I didn't expect to see much, so I was truly surprised by what the webcam captured.


Not only was the mountain clearly silhouetted against the night sky, but the fumes emitted by the volcano were illuminated by the fiery cauldron within the crater.  What surprised me most of all was the sky filled with a myriad of stars.  Here, far from the lights and pollution of the city, one can see the night sky as it really is.  When the sky is clear it must be a spectacular sight  for the mountain climbers who camp overnight to begin an early morning ascent.  (Ever since "Popo" became more active again, climbing is no longer permitted, but the neighboring peak of Iztaccihuatl still attracts climbers.)

On the website I also noticed another mountain webcam that I had not seen before.  With an elevation of over 18,000 feet, Pico de Orizaba, an inactive volcano, is the highest mountain in Mexico and the third highest peak in North America.  A webcam has been installed at the telescope atop an adjoining mountain, Sierra Negra.  However, every time I click on it, I get the same photo, and a message saying that the webcam is temporarily suspended due to technical problems.  The photo is beautiful and worth sharing with you, but I wish that they would get that webcam working.  It would be cool to see the changes at different times of day.


  


2 comments:

  1. What a cool photo of Popo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know that I have posted a lot of pictures of the volcano, but I thought that one was really unique.

      Delete