from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Gone!

I have written several posts documenting the demolition of my alma mater, Berea High School.  In the last post that I wrote about it, work was underway to tear down the oldest section of the building which was built in the late 1920s.  

My friend Gayle, who graduated with me in the BHS Class of 1970, told me that she had driven by and that nothing was left but the chimney.

Yesterday was a sunny day, so I decided to get some exercise and walk the two miles to the site of my old school.   I found that, yes indeed, except for several piles of rubble and the chimney of the boiler room, there was nothing left of Berea High (or Berea-Midpark High, as it was called after it was consolidated with the other high school in our school district).


 

Behind the chimney stands the new high school.



The demolition zone is surrounded by a chain link fence.  (These photos were taken through the holes in the fence.)  However, when Gayle passed by here, one of the entrance gates was open.  Someone had driven in and was taking some bricks from the pile of rubble, and Gayle followed suit.  She grabbed four bricks and put them in her car.  Yet another person arrived and was about to do the same, but a worker arrived and told them that they had to leave.  However, Gayle already had her memento of our alma mater.

Looking at the pile, I am wondering if some of the lighter colored pieces might be of Berea sandstone, which was also used in the construction of the original building.  I would have loved to have a piece of sandstone.  However, even if the gate had been open, it would have been a bit more exercise than I would care to attempt, walking home two miles, lugging a chunk of sandstone!

No comments:

Post a Comment