from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Snowy Mexico

As I reported in this morning's post, yesterday's weather was quite miserable.  Today also began cold and cloudy, but by 11:00 A.M. the skies had cleared and the sun was shining.  The air was still a bit chilly, and I wore a jacket, but it was a pleasant day.  After being cooped up in the apartment yesterday, it was good to get out today.

As I passed a newsstand, I had to take a picture of the front page of one of the Mexico City newspapers.


"Wintry!" says the headline.  "Cold front lowers temperatures and surprises residents of the capital with persistent rain and fog; first big snowfall on Xinantécatl"

I had to do a little research to find out where Xinantécatl is.  It is the Nahuatl (Aztec) name for Nevado de Toluca... the volcanic peak which is Mexico's fourth highest mountain.  So that snowy scene on the front page was about 80 miles to the west of me, and several thousand feet higher.

As an update to yesterday's post about the monarch butterfly hanging from a tree branch outside my window since Tuesday...  This morning before I left the apartment, it was still there.  But when I returned this afternoon, it was gone.


Hopefully today's sun warmed up its wings, and it fluttered off to find its companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment