city at night

city at night

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Booksellers' Alley

Tucked between the Palace of Mining and the main Post Office of Mexico City there is a narrow pedestrian street called "Callejón de la Condesa" (The Alley of the Countess).  Today it is lined with bookstalls selling all sorts of books, on every topic, new, used and antique.  




Last Friday, I passed down the alleyway after visiting the art exhibits at the Palace of Mining and the National Museum of Art.  I came upon a stall that had some children's books, and I started looking to see if I could find something for Alejandro's eight year old nephew.  (He prides himself on having his own little "biblioteca"... library.)  There I found some paperback adaptations for children of classic works of literature.  They only cost 20 pesos (one dollar)each. I bought him "La Ilíada" (obviously, "The Illiad"), as well as "La vuelta al mundo en ochenta días" and "La isla del tesoro".  Can you figure out what those last two titles are in English?

No comments:

Post a Comment