from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Poor Butterfly

Yesterday afternoon, while I was sitting in my apartment working on the blog, I saw a monarch butterfly fluttering outside my window.  The poor thing must have lost its way on its migration to the wintering grounds in the mountains to the west of Mexico City.  It came to rest on the bare branch of a half-dead jacaranda tree in front of the building.  I quickly grabbed my camera, and hoped to get a photo of it before it flew away.



There was no rush.  The monarch remained in that spot, and is still there twenty-four hours later.  Yesterday was cloudy and cool, and today is even chillier.  I know that in their winter home, they remain motionless on the tree branches when the mountain temperatures are cold.  Hopefully, tomorrow the sun will come out and warm its wings, and it will fly away to find its companions that come here each winter by the millions.

2 comments:

  1. You should read the book FLIGHT BEHAVIOUR https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/11/books/review/flight-behavior-by-barbara-kingsolver.html a fictional book in which the migration of monarchs plays a major part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You told me about that book. It sounds interesting.

      Delete