from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Mexican Thai

The first time I ever had "pad thai", the best known dish of Thai cuisine, was at a restaurant in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  It was terrible.  It contained chunks of bamboo that were woody and impossible to eat.  Years later, a Thai restaurant opened in my hometown in Ohio.  I cannot vouch for how authentic their food is, but it is very tasty.  However, remembering my first encounter with Thai food, I have never ordered "pad thai" there

On my previous trip to Mexico City, Alejandro and I discovered a place that serves delicious "pad thai". (No woody bamboo!)  Last Friday, Alejandro and I went there again for supper.  It is a booth called Thai Path at Mesa Nápoles, a food court that I have mentioned before on this blog.


Their menu is quite limited.  The only main course they serve is "pad thai" with chicken, pork, shrimp, or a combination. I had the chicken and pork combination, and Alejandro had the shrimp and chicken.  The sign on the booth says that they serve the best "pad thai" in the city.  I don't know how many Thai restaurants there are in Mexico City, but we certainly like the food at Thai Path.


I guess when I return home, I am going to have to try out the "pad thai" at my local restaurant.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading about your dining adventures. This reminded me about an experience I had with Thai cuisine several years ago. Around here, we can't get authentically spicy Thai food. When someone in Wisconsin says something is "spicy," it's usually barely hot. (I've heard people refer to ketchup as "spicy.") So we were skeptical when we heard about a good Thai place near our hotel in Paris several years ago. The waiter asked if we were serious when we said we wanted our food really spicy, and Chuck had to convince him that yes, he really wanted a "native Thai" level of heat. His dish (I forget what he ordered) met and even exceeded expectations. Chuck was in heaven, even though he was sweating and his eyes were watering. It only took a trip to France to find good, spicy Thai cuisine! -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I requested that the "pad thai" be medium, and for me it was just right. (However, I suppose that for many people's tastes, my "medium" would be their "incendiary".) Chuck should have a great culinary experience in Mérida where the fiery "habanero" is the pepper of choice. I like "picante", but the "habanero" is too much my taste buds!

      Delete
    2. Yes, we're both looking forward to trying the regional cuisine!

      Delete