city at night

city at night

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

What I am Reading Now

I always bring a book or two with me when I travel, and this trip is no exception.  I sit and read at the airport (I purposely book long layovers so as not to miss connecting flights) and on the plane.  I also read a bit before going to bed each night.  



I am already half way through a novel by the Chilean writer, Isabel Allende.  I have read a number of her books, and they are usually enjoyable.  This novel, Inés of My Soul, is historical fiction telling the story of Inés Suárez, the mistress of Pedro de Valdivia, the "conquistador" of Chile.  So far, it is an excellent book.

When I finish that, I will begin a novel by the Nobel Prize winning author Sinclair Lewis.  It Can't Happen Here was written during the Great Depression when Fascism was spreading through Europe.  It tells the story of a U.S. President who makes himself dictator to save the country from welfare cheats, crime and the liberal press.  It sounds as if it is very relevant to the times in which we live.

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading Lori Lansens THE GIRLS, a fictional autobiography "written" by one of two craniopagus conjoined twins. It's a sad yet sometimes funny story, wonderfully told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! I started reading "It Can't Happen Here" a couple of weeks ago. The similarities to the present day, despite being written 80 years ago, are striking...and depressing. (This is Meredith, still not able to post as myself, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope for good news on November 6th. If not, I might not want to come home.

      As for the problems with posting, I don't know what to tell you. My cousin posted a bunch of comments today under her name.

      Delete