from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

A Taste of Honey

I am not much of a drinker, but I love X'tabentún, a liqueur from Yucatán made with honey and anise.  Whenever I am in Mérida, the capital of Yucatán, I like to end the night at a sidewalk café sipping X'tabentún on the rocks.  The liqueur is virtually impossible to find in the U.S., and even here in Mexico City it is not easy to find.  I have an almost empty bottle here in the apartment, and I wanted to get another bottle not just for myself, but to offer a drink to my friends Nancy and Fred when they arrive here tomorrow.  (They traveled with me once to Mérida, so they are familiar with X´tabentún.)

So, today I took the Metrobus to the Condesa neighborhood to an upscale liquor and wine store called Europea.  It is a chain of stores, and, according to their website, they carry X'tabentún.



Sure, enough, they had it.! I bought a bottle, and held on to it for dear life as I returned to the apartment on the Metrobus.  I didn't want to break my precious purchase.


Now all I have to do is make a tray of ice cubes (from purified water of course) so that I can serve it "en las rocas".

No comments:

Post a Comment